Tuesday, July 12

HIV

Today my friend Irene and I tested a man for HIV. His name was Paul, 40 years old. We pricked his finger, put the blood in this small tube, then placed it in a special plastic tray. After an unsettling 10 minutes, the tray read somewhat like a  pregnancy test: negative. Ruth, the testing center nurse at Sister Fredas spoke to him in swahili for a few minutes, and then he was on his way.

I asked Ruth about her job and about AIDS for a long time after that. I learned a lotttt.. about meds, different strains, how it shows, the biology behind it, how it spreads, the stigma, ect.

Outside of Sister Fredas Hospital, Purpose Driven Academy is becoming my faaaavorite place. The baby classes are adorable, I help them review the alphabet and numbers, take porridge with them, and play outside. Grades 4, 5 and 6 are absolutely nuts. I teach them bible class basically, but also help them review math and take them to PE. I pop in on grades 2 and 3 when the teachers are gone, and love that too. PDA is the best!