Friday, July 22

Jujuuuuu

Let's be honest: I love my sister Meagan more than anyone in the world. Last night my friend Juju was telling me about her younger sister who died and we both lost it. Her sister Violet was taken as a "house girl" when she was young into a family that basically used her as a permanent servant. Juju and her siblings had no living parents and no money. A neighbor of that family raped Violet and impregnated her. That man moved to the Congo to get away and Violet followed. She was treated badly there, alone with no friends or family. She died at age 18 two years ago, Juje doesn't know how.

Almost everyone's story here involves death or rape, genocide, sickness or poverty, so to some extend you become numb to those things, or they become less shocking, sort of expected. But when Juliette started tearing up while telling me about Violet, I thought of Meagan. If I had to sit on the sidelines, powerless, knowing that Meagan was being mistreated and not be able to do ANYTHING about it... I just can't even imagine. I love her I just wanna squeeze her all the time and make her laugh and be happy and protect her from anything bad. To think that Juje had the same feelings towards Violet as her older sister, but had to let her go, made me cry. What a horrible thing to endure.

Juliette is my closest friend here. We laugh so hard together. We dance a lot, help make dinner a lot, have sleepovers. I love her. She has another younger sister, Clementine, who I can't wait to meet someday. She lives in Rwanda with their older sister Janet. Here's some pictures of my sweet friend..