Friday, June 24

Luke 4:18-19

Here's something I read this morning that brought me encouragement in this place where there is so so much need..

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor"   

Jesus said this when first claiming to be Lord. They were Isaiah's words years earlier. And to some extend I want to take these words on for kitale this summer.  There's so much shit people have to deal with here.  It's horrible and overwhelming and wrong and seemingly inescapable. In the end, I really can't do much about the poverty, or the disease, or the beatings or rape or other injustice.. but I can bring some really really good news that this physical world is not all there is. We can be set free, released from oppression! 

So many people in Kenya live in really hard situations. It's not that I understand or accept these situations for them, I don't even know what Jesus would say/do about all this (if he were here,walking around).  But that verse in Luke gave some perspective and hope that at least this physical life isn't all there is. People can be victorious in Jesus, no matter how horrible their situation is here on earth.