Tuesday, May 14

Morocco

Right after Kenya my whole program went on a trip to Morocco. I finally know how to spell that word. Thirty californian kids, our program director, and 2 peace core volunteers. It.. was... amazing. We went to 4 different cities, lived with families who didn't speak english, hung out with local students and engaged in discussions about women's rights, arab vs muslim vs islamic, education, sex, stereotypes, you name it. Super educational trip, but so not lame at the same time. Beautiful country, beautiful people.

When I got back to granada it was 8:30 on a saturday night so I dropped off all my stuff real quick and  headed out to the grocery store cuz I had zero food and everything real closes on sunday.  On the walk to the store it felt SO GOOD to feel light, and myself, and unnoticed.  To wear a tank top outside!  To be outside and not feel like everyones watching you (like it felt in Kenya).  I felt at hommme.  It was trippy feeling warm water come out of the faucet when I washed my face that night.. and being able to drink the water that comes out of every sink.  Morocco and Kenya were great, but its good to be back in gtown.

I recently got 200 some new songs from a friend, and its great having a new soundtrack to life.  I've also started looking up as i walk from place to place, like to the clouds and sky.  Makes for a better day!  Heres some pics from morocc...

This was a majority of the whole trip.  Laughing hard with my friend Tim.  He funny.  

To the left of her hand is my name in Arabic!  They write without vowels...


We rode camels.  Yayyyy.

BEAUTIFUL houses/cities/suburbs/streets

This is our host family.  I stayed with my friends Callia and Becca (Becs is here in the photo).  Also in the photo is our house mom, Fatima and her creepy little nephew. 

This is Callia and Becca with our house sister, Caucha.  Definitely spelt that wrong.  She didn't speak english, show she just kept hugging us and saying "love" in the sweetest 10 year old voice.  I loved her!

Our house brother, Adnaan.  He was our translator.  Suuuper sweet 16 year old kid.

Best food ever!  Communal, eat with your hands, delicious and healthy.  They literally forrrrced us to eat eat eat and eat more.  To say that in Arabic, they'd say "cool cool cool cool!"

The first night we got there, we were exhausteddddd.  They dressed us up like barbie dolls in classic Moroccan gowns.  

Roman ruins!

More roman ruins. 

Famous tomb of an old king.  They have kings there!  And youre not allowed to not like him.


Open markets (bargainable) 

We visited a rural farm town and got to talk with a farmer and his family for a long time and have lunch. 

Last city we visited... it was all blue!  Such a trip.

These girls are my besties!!!  Callia, Kaitlyn, and Becca (left to right).  Great people.